Monday, March 14, 2011

Spells- Aprilynne Pike

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

Spells is the second book in Pike's trilogy. If you'd like to read my review of Wings, which is the first book, check it out HERE. If you haven't read Wings and aren't interested in spoilers, then stop here!Actual review is after the jump.






Okay... we good? Only people who don't care about first book spoilers still around? Excellent. So, a quick plot summary. Laurel has to go spend a few weeks in the summer in Avalon- fairy land, getting caught up on all of the training she's been missing. As a Fall fairy, she's responsibly for lotions and potions and healing and such. We learn a lot about Avalon and fairy culture, and get to meet Tamani's family. Laurel struggles with her studies, misses David, and has a really hard time with the strict caste system in Avalon. She loves David, loves Tamani and is still super worried (with good reason) about the troll Barnes and he's evil intentions toward her and the gate that protects Avalon.

So, I'll confess... I'm writing this review a while after I finished this book. I'm a bit behind on my blogging. :(  So, it isn't as fresh in my mind as I'd like. However... I did still like this book. Definitely enough to keep reading the series. (Illusions is the third book which is due out in May) I love the world of Avalon. Pike is a master at world building and it just felt so pretty and fairy-like. The caste system is interesting and adds another dimension to Laurel and Tamani's relationship. I still loved the love triangle, and am totally rooting for David. Speaking of whom, his relationship with Laurel deepens nicely and I thought it felt believable and real. The action towards the end was maybe a little forced, and I'm not sure who this mercanary-type is that has come in to save the say. That seemed a little convenient, but I'm hoping that all ends will be tied up in the third book. Overall, a really fun, light read with an intriguing heroine and unique selling point!

_______________________________________________________________________

 Ugh... for some reason blogger isn't letting me add links into the text, and I don't feel like actually coding it right now- so below are the links to my review of Wings and the pre-order page for Illusions


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...